Waiting for Warmth: Making it Until Spring
There comes a time in every winter when we suddenly just hit our limit. Sometimes it’s a stretch of terribly cold weather in January that does us in, other times a long grey February is the culprit. And it’s like we’re just sick of it, all at once. It may be March, the promise of spring may be near, but still, we long for the warmth of the summer sun.
But what to do if spring is a long way away where you live? How can you fill your need for sun and warmth, and get a little dose of spring if the real thing is weeks away? For some of us, it’s a mild case of the doldrums, and we manage to function anyway. For others, it is a real malady called SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), and can cause a regular pattern of depression that comes with winter. Either way, it’s a good idea to recognize when you are starting to feel down or lethargic due to the weather and find some solutions that will help liven up your mood.
So, what are some ways to boost your mood when winter just won’t seem to leave?
- Attend a home and garden show for a fresh hit of green and inspiration
- Find a conservatory to surround yourself in the smell of flowers and fresh dirt
- If you garden, get online or pull out your catalogues and order yourself some treats
- Buy flowers or an indoor potted plant with blossoms to brighten your kitchen or nightstand
- Watch the stores for rain gear and rubber boots as they come in early and disappear quickly
- Buy yourself a pair of brightly coloured rubber boots, not just the kids
- Sit down and plan your summer holiday
- Go through summer camp ideas – they book early anyway, so enjoy the photos and get looking
- Get outside every time the sun shines – go for a walk, take the kids to the playground, walk to your lunch destination, park further away on clear days and sneak in a walk to and from work
- Change your routine so you are near a window whenever possible – open your blinds, sit by the window in a coffee shop or restaurant, move your workspace if possible
- Take Vitamin D, of course following guidelines or a health provider’s advice as appropriate
- If all else fails, look for a last minute deal and get yourself onto a beach for a few days
What are your favourite ways to warm your soul and boost your spirits at this time of year? Do you have any suggestions to share?