Last Minute Christmas Pot Luck Dilemma?
My in laws are kind enough to take care of most of our Christmas dinner but like any dutiful daughter in law, I don’t want to turn up to our feast empty handed. As well as taking a curried vegetable dish (of course) this stuffing recipe that my Dutch friend Angela was kind enough to share with me is my go to for all pot lucks and shared dinners. It has therefore been christened Pork Luck and is basically a meat on meat treat.
The first time I made this dish I was nervous because it sure is meaty. And fatty. And incredibly delicious. But as I watched every single piece disappear from the plate and saw the satisfaction on my big bro’ in law’s face, I knew I was onto a winner and my go to dish had been born.
This dish is so easy to prepare and doesn’t require too many ingredients.
- 500 gr sausages meat
- Pack of bacon (I use two slices per sausage meat ball)
- 1 lemon
- 25 gr butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup Parsley (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup Thyme (or to taste)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (or more or less dependent on how meaty you want your pork luck) I use ground breadcrumbs but cubes work too.
- Fry the onion with butter and olive oil until nice and tender.
- Put the sausage meat in a bowl then add the zest of the lemon, onions, herbs, salt and pepper and breadcrumbs. Mix well together.
- Roll into balls. Wrap the bacon over the balls
- You can put in with the turkey for about 45 min or in the oven at 190 Celsius or 375 Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.