The Touchy-feely World of Kids Books: Pre-loved is Best
iPads, laptops & e-readers aside, nothing beats a book when it comes to instilling a love of literature in children. From picking one out to dog-earring your favourite pages, a real honest-to-goodness paper book is a tactile experience that technology just can’t imitate.
“But what about the trees?” you ask. To which I answer, “buy used.” Quelle surprise! And don’t think I’ve forgotten about the library. I haven’t. The library is awesome. Everyone knows that. But, if you have kids, you also know that they can get totally obsessed with certain books. And if you’ve ever tried to return the object of a kid’s obsession to the library, you know it will end in tears. Yours, probably. So, use the library and often. But when your kidling takes a shine to a particular book, try to find a pre-loved version like the titles listed below. You’ll save money and trees and you’ll encourage your kids to discover a whole new world just beyond their touchscreens.
My totally-biased-in-no-particular-order top-10 reading list for kids:
- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
- The Secret World of Og by Pierre Burton
- A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
- Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang by Mordecai Richler
- Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White
- The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
- Anything & everything by Roald Dahl
- The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch
- Are You My Mother? by Dr. Seuss
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
What books make your top-ten list? What books from your childhood had the greatest impact on you? Share!