Used.ca is looking for a Junior Software Developer to join our team in beautiful Victoria, BC!
Why we love working here
We proudly make meaningful contributions to our communities. Used.ca has invested over $5 million promoting local events, charities and nonprofit organizations over the last ten years, while partnering with over 200 organizations annually to share their message.
We actively participate in events like the Earth Day clean-up, Victoria Pride Festival and Festival of Trees.
We host six annual bottle drives to raise much-needed funds for local charities like the Victoria Humane Society, Island Prostate Centre and BC Children’s Hospital Foundation.
We get awesome perks like tickets to food festivals, arts events, symphony performances, music festivals, wine tastings…and the list goes on!
We have a modern open-concept kitchen, foosball, sitting lounge complete with a retro NES, and, of course, friendly co-workers to enjoy it all with!
We take pride in our work, and enjoy the benefits of working with a team that values transparency, integrity, growth and positivity!
Junior Software Developer
Reports to: Head of Development
As part of the Development Team, our Junior Software Developer is responsible for developing a software product that delivers exceptional business value to our organization. We leverage the scrum development process and the best of modern lean and Agile Development practices. As a developer, you will have a broad range of both technical and non-technical skills, as each team member is responsible for many aspects of our product offerings. This role will require involvement in many parts of the development process, including architecture and UI design, development/testing, as well as delivery and infrastructure management. In addition to these technical skills, communication and team skills are mandatory, as the developers work closely with customer support, sales and marketing in supporting and monetizing our product.
This role is ideal for a developer who is passionate about a wide array of technologies; is not afraid to try new things and learn from mistakes. We’re looking for someone with a strong technical foundation and a willingness to learn through a strong team environment. A working knowledge of modern development processes is also critical: including Agile Development (scrum), modern Design Patterns, and Test-Driven Development.
- Develop software of the highest quality in a number of platforms, environments and languages including:
- Native Mobile App Development:
- iOS: Xcode, Swift, Objective-C, Cocapods
- Android: Android Studio, Java, Gradle
- Server Development: Nginx, Python, Django, REST API
- Database Development: Postgres, MongoDB, Elasticsearch
- Participate and take ownership of tasks in the scrum process, by focusing on improvements to the software through design, development, review, test and delivery
- Assist in improving the overall architecture and infrastructure of our product offerings by providing input on the design and development of future products
- Communicate within the scrum development team, as well as assist in supporting marketing, sales, and support
- Contribute to design projects using familiar and modern patterns such as Material Design
- Communication skills – the ability to effectively communicate to others is critical on any development team. Includes both oral and written communication
- Real technical ability – a thorough grasp of relevant technologies to develop the best product possible
- A champion of quality – promote the adoption of modern quality management including automation
- Adaptable – responsive to changing priorities and immediate business needs
- Ability to remain friendly and positive under pressure
- B.Sc. or Diploma in Computer Science / Engineering / Systems Technology or equivalent
- One to two years of experience as a developer in web application development
- Participation on an Agile Development team
Great to have:
- Strong experience in any of the following: Python/Django, iOS/Android, and REST APIs
- Knowledge of and experience using Atlassian products (JIRA/Confluence)
- Experience with developing high traffic software or large user bases
- Experience utilizing cloud technology services for product support and delivery
- An understanding of web-based e-commerce, including credit card processing and payment providers
- An understanding of web-based advertising, affiliate programs, AdWords, AdSense, DFP, SEO and analytics
We are committed to being a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and do their best work. Even if you don’t have all the experience, but you share our core values of – transparency, integrity, positivity and growth – send us an application!
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Careers@Used.ca. We look forward to hearing from you!