Kick-start your resolutions in the storage
Do you hear that Resolution clock still ticking?
Tick, tock, tick
Earlier, Katie and Eden introduced the S.M.A.R.T. method to figuring out what your resolutions could be. So what did you figure out? Make more money in 2011, clean up your garage, clean up your basement or get rid of stuff you don’t need?
Tick, tock, tick
If cleaning was on the list here’s a small checklist to get things out, and help you put money in your pocket ( and check off two resolutions if money was one of them )
- Pick a room – For this example I’m going to pick the storage room because it’s obvious there are things in there we wouldn’t need
- Find a judge – if you peaked ahead to the next few steps, you’ll see why another person could be helpful in the decision making process.
- Pick an item – Tick, tock, tick
- Do the one year test if you haven’t used it in the past year there’s a good chance you don’t need it (make this two years if it feels better). Yes, that includes those cassette tapes in a box that you’re keeping just in case 1980’s Walkmans come back in style.
- Would you feel good giving it to others? – Decide if it could help someone in need. Clothes are great to set aside and give to charity at a local drop box. You’ll feel better when you give back.
- Keep, Sell, Chuck – Time to start dividing. I know it’s hard but you’ve got to be strong ( finding a judge comes in handy here ). You might be sitting on the fence with somethings. If you are, remember, that if you think it’s valuable, and it didn’t pass the one year test, you don’t really need it and someone else will surely pay money for it. If you’re still not sure then look up the item online and see what the going rate is. Knowing what it’s worth, rather then guessing what it’s worth could help change your mind.
- Pick another item – repeat steps 3-6 until you know what you want to do with everything in the room
Still hear that “Tick, tock, tick“?
If you do, you’ve got to do something now. Anything! Even if it’s a 5 minute walk around the block or maybe getting rid of a single old wooden spoon from your kitchen.Give your resolutions a chance to survive.
creative commons image courtesy of over_kind_man